Library Entry and Services are restricted to only to authorized members of the university with valid Institutional ID.
Other visitors need to take permission from the Library.
Internet Access and E-Resources are restricted to only to authorized members of the university.
1. A person desirous of using the Library shall enter his/her name, Department and time of entry legibly and put signature in the register kept at the appropriate section’s entrance for the purpose.
2. Silence shall be maintained as far as possible in the Library.
3. Strict decorum and discipline must be maintained in the Library. Users must ensure that rights of other users of the Library are not breached in anyway by their own acts of commission or demission.
4. Smoking, eating, sleeping and talking loudly are strictly prohibited in the Library.
5. Readers must present their Reader’s Card or University Card for inspection if requested by a member of the Library staff in the course of their duties.
6. A non-member can use the library materials in the Library premises with the prior permission of the University Librarian.
7. Readers must not bring sticks, umbrellas, briefcases, boxes and other such articles into the Library. They may be deposited at the Library property counter and get a token. The item deposited can be recovered by returning the token. The users are advised not to leave expensive items with the property counter.
8. Documents taken out of the shelves must be left on the table. Replacing the documents on shelves by users is not encouraged as the documents may get misplaced.
9. The Library reserves the right to inspect anything brought into the building. Laptops, mobile devices, bags, files, folders, coats and any other items allowed into the Library shall be subject to examination on exit.
10. Library staff are empowered to stop any activity in the Library which they consider prejudicial to the safety, well-being, or security of readers or Library staff or to the preservation of the collections.
Corporate and Institutional Membership
1. Corporate Membership:
Industrial organization/Business firms/Corporate bodies may become members of the library by paying annual fees of Rs. 10,000/-. Such members are eligible to use library resources/facilities within library premises. If the corporate member to desire to barrow books they are allowed to borrow up to ten books at a time by depositing Rs. 1000/- per book.
2. Institutional Membership:
Educational institutions including affiliated colleges may become a member by paying an annual fee of Rs.10,000/- and the Institution members desire to borrow books they are allowed to borrow up to ten books at a time.
Loan Privilege (Rules relating to borrowing of books)
1. Two books are issued for students for two weeks, 5 books are issued for research scholars for 30 days, 10 books are issued for faculty members for one year. They must be returned on or before the last date stamped on the date-slip of each document. Sending reminders to defaulters is not obligatory on the part of the Library.
2. All persons borrowing Library materials, or ordering materials for use within the Library, shall produce evidence of identity at the time of borrowing or ordering if requested to do so.
3. The borrower should check the fitness of the document before getting it issued. Any discrepancy should be brought to the notice of the person at the Circulation Counter who will put necessary remarks on the document before issuing. The borrower will be held responsible for any defect/damage found at the time of the return of the document, if not recorded on it earlier, and will be liable to pay the penalty as decided by the Director-General/Deputy Director-General/Librarian.
4. Any document issued may be recalled by the Library before the due date of the return without assigning any reason and the borrower has to abide by the decision.
5. A late fee of Rs 2/-/day/book would be charged from all the borrowers who retain book(s) beyond the due date.
6. Books will be reissued for not more than two times. After that, the borrower must return the book(s).
7. Reference books, journals/periodicals, magazines/newspapers, CD-ROM databases, and other documents declared “For Reference” by the Librarian will not be issued. However, the textbooks can be issued overnight and a late fee will be charged @ 5/- per book per day
8. A borrower is responsible for the safe custody and return of the documents borrowed from the Library.
Rules relating to loss of book
1. The reader who losses the book must report to the University Library immediately and he/she will be given one month's time for finding and return of the book/s. In case he/she fails to return the book/s after one month from the date of reporting, he/she will be charged a fine of Rs. 5/- per day per book till he/she replaces with the new book of the same title and other details. In case he/she can’s replace the book then he/she will have to pay FOUR TIMES the cost of the book subject to the minimum of Rs. 500/- if the cost of the book is lesser than Rs. 125/-. However, the present conversion rates will be counted for foreign books. Replacement by the photocopied version will not be accepted.
Copyrights © 2020 Bangalore University Library. All rights reserved. Designed by InfinityMindTech